Our Objectives are:
“To establish and maintain a National Hiking Trail system linking Canada’s provinces from coast to coast.”
Linking Canada’s Heritage through walking. In establishing a foot trail across Canada, we bring a broad spectrum of benefits to Canadians through:
- assisting in preservation of our heritage of natural and historic places.
- encouraging fitness and healthy outdoor exercise through hiking and walking-related recreational activities. working with other health promoting organizations to encourage walking, snowshoeing and cross-country skiing.
- promoting environmental awareness of our natural surroundings and appreciation for wildlife protection.
- advancing the National Hiking Trail as a national icon to schools, tourism agencies and information media.
- providing tourism opportunities to attract Canadians and international visitors and benefit regional and local economies.
- encouraging the growth of regional and local hiking trails as part of the national hiking trail system.
- strengthening national ties by physical linkage of hiking trail systems and cooperation among supporters of the National Hiking Trail.